bfa HSBC Franchisor of the Year Awards, supported by Express Newspapers
By Cathryn Hayes, HSBC’s Head of Franchising and member of the Awards judging panel.
The 2013 bfa HSBC Franchisor of the Year Awards, supported by Express Newspapers, are open for entries until 5th April 2013. Franchising is continuing to perform strongly despite the challenging economic climate, and we would like to encourage UK franchisors of any size or sector to tell their stories and inspire the next generation of franchisors.
But what’s in it for you, as one of these successful franchisors? Here are my 5 reasons why you should enter these prestigious awards, open to bfa members only:
- It gives you a chance to evaluate your business and focus on your successes. To enter, franchisors need to provide a 1,000 word entry outlining the reasons why they should win. How often do you take the time to look at your business with a critical eye? Previous entrants have told me they have found entering a real boost as it has given them a chance to revisit successes.
- It can be a great talking point with franchisees and staff and it never hurts to tell people about the great things you do. This leads on from point 1 above – it can boost your confidence as a franchise and bring the whole network together. Preparing your awards entry will provide you with a short document to share with staff and franchisees and enable the whole network to remind themselves how successful they are!
- A chance to set yourself up against your peers and find out how other successful franchise networks operate. There isn’t always a ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way – but great franchisors often look at other successful businesses and take on board some elements to suit their own network.
- Go through the judging process. It might seem strange to put that as a benefit, but for the bfa HSBC Franchisor of the Year awards, there are two judging stages to go through. The first is the preparation of your 1,000 word entry as mentioned above – if this gets you through to the short-list, you get to present your entry to the judging panel and are then questioned about it. It is a thorough judging process which puts you through your paces – but it really means something to win an award in this way!
- Get positive PR for your business. As sponsors, we cover the cost of professional PR support for the awards, not just writing the releases but also ‘selling’ your success story to national, regional and trade press. The value of the Awards PR coverage last year alone was nearly £750,000 with over 55 million ‘opportunities to see’ generated – don’t miss out on your share of that great coverage!
Full details including terms and conditions and downloadable entry forms can be found in the franchise awards section.