Premier's going the extra mile
May 26, 2017
In May 2017, Dame Kelly Holmes represented Premier Education Group, for the launch of their new Golden Mile campaign. Dame Kelly spoke on Sky Sunrise, BBC and The Chris Evans Breakfast Show, to name a few, supporting the campaign that is targeting primary school children to be more active and healthy.
The Golden Mile is a national initiative aimed at getting children doing regular physical activity, to tackle the alarming rise in childhood obesity. Children collectively walk, jog or run around a set course and schools are given the resources to track and monitor pupil progress.
The campaign that Dame Kelly Holmes was supporting across the national media outlets earlier this month was developed on the back of some alarming parent research:
- Almost 40% of parents admit their child is less active than them at the same age
- Children are spending almost double the amount of time a week on a tablet or watching TV, than doing any type of physical activity.
- Three quarters of parents admit they do not know how long their child should be active for each day
- Almost 2 in 5 parents would not know how to decide if their child had been physically active for long enough
- Just under 1 in 5 parents assume that their child is kept physically active during school
The #GoForGoldChallenge sees schools compete against one another over a 4-week period to win prizes, ranging from Olympic Athlete visits to their school to free sports days and health and well-being sessions for both pupils and teachers/parents to enjoy. The campaign encourages schools to proactively increase the level of activity their pupils are undertaking while at school, whether it’s during a P.E. lesson or at an extra-curricular club.
Golden Mile had 1,254 schools registered on the Golden Mile programme. Since Dame Kelly Holmes launched the new campaign in May, an additional 43 new schools have joined. Not only does this improve the health and well-being of nearly 10,000 children, it provides a new potential new revenue stream for the franchisees.